The Ocean Cleanup is a non-profit foundation, established in 2013 by Boyan Slat (Dutch Inventor) in his hometown – Delft, Netherlands. The Ocean Cleanup’s team consists of more than 90 engineers, researchers, scientists and computational modelers working daily to rid the world’s oceans of plastic.
Millions of tons of plastic annually enters the oceans primarily from rivers. The marine plastic waste floats across the oceans (legacy plastic) which won’t degrade on its own. Therefore, solving ocean plastic pollution requires a combination of stemming the inflow and cleaning up what has already accumulated. The Ocean Cleanup team is working to develop advanced technologies to treat marine plastic waste.
“Our work environment is fast-paced and informal which allows you to take a lot of responsibility in your role. I would like to welcome an environmental coordinator who can focus on project coordination and data management. We look forward to working with an energetic, knowledgeable self-starter who will help The Ocean Cleanup in the next phases of our development and operations!” –
Lonneke Holierhoek, Director of the Department of Science and Outsourced Operations
Environmental Coordinator Job description
Environmental coordinator is required by The Ocean Cleanup who will be responsible for managing environmental data and coordinating environmental and social assessments, along with monitoring projects for decision-making purposes. The Ocean Cleanup activities span all over the world and working conditions/projects vary for each continent, region, or ecosystem.
Duties & Responsibilities as Environmental coordinator
- To collect, process, and analyze environmental data
- To ensure the monitoring data is used to identify environmental problems and propose solutions
- To coordinate environmental projects between internal teams of scientists/engineers and external contractors
- To support the Rivers and Ocean teams for the creation of environmental tools for operational phases of projects
- To providing administrative support to the Head of Environmental and Social Affairs
- To prepare and coordinate environmental monitoring campaigns with consultants
- To work on social impact analyses and its related aspects in projects (supporting sustainability projects)
- Master’s degree in environmental science, (marine, river, or wildlife) ecology, or relevant geoscience or engineering disciplines with 3 or more years of related work experience
- Fluency in English language (written/verbal)
- High proficiency in MS Office (Excel, Word, and PowerPoint), Jira is a plus
- Proven experience with EIA and social impact assessments
- Proven experience in project coordination and reviewing work done by multiple teams
- Previous experience in working with engineers, and comprehension of their work needs and limitations.
- Motivation for research work, including the pursuance of literature reviews for new research projects
- Ability to manage time and meet deadlines
- Ability to perform in a fast-paced and challenging work environment
- Team player, diplomatic, detailed-oriented and flexible in transitioning to new tasks
- Meticulous, detail-oriented, structured – but also flexible to transition to new tasks
- Excellent communication and reporting skills
- Passionate about work on our ambitious and organization’s missions and goals
- Must be a holder of EU work permit to apply for this position